Explore local history by visiting us in the archives, or stay at home with a cup of tea and search our Online Resources for photos, genealogy resources, and more.
Research in Person
If you are interested in doing your own archival research at the Museum, please contact us before you come so that we can have materials on hand. Museum members may do unlimited research free of charge. Staff will provide up to twenty minutes of assistance free of charge. If more time is required, staff time will be charged at $25 per hour plus any reproduction fees.
staff conducted research
The Summerland Museum does not have a researcher on staff, and research requests are subject to available staff time. Please note that there is no charge for information which is readily available, however a charge of $25 per hour will be charged for time spent in excess of twenty minutes.
The Research Request Form can be downloaded below. Please complete the form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that all researchers are subject to the Research Rules, and that the researcher is responsible for following applicable legislation, including Copyright.
Our archival collection includes various resources including:
- Information files on local businesses, organizations, places, heritage buildings, and events.
- Family files containing biographical information on families and individuals.
- Microfilm of the Summerland Review from 1908 to 2006 (excluding 1930-1947).
- Property assessment records (1907-1957).
- Okanagan Historical Society Annual Reports from 1926 to date (many issues and an index are also available online through the OHS website)
- A photographic database of over 7,000 images.
- A reference library of books on local history.
If you are interested in using archival material reproductions, please complete the Permission to Use Archival Material Reproductions form below and send it to email@example.com.